Risk matters with Arthur J Gallagher
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015) came into force on 6 April 2015, replacing Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007. CDM 2015 is subject to certain transitional provisions (details of which can be found in the HSE publication L153 – Managing Health and Safety in Construction - Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015).
The Regulations set out what people involved in construction work need to do to protect themselves and anyone the work affects from harm and the aim is to improve health and safety in the industry by helping people to:
• sensibly plan the work so the risks involved are managed from start to finish
• have the right people for the right job at the right time
• cooperate and coordinate your work with others
• have the right information about the risks and how they are being managed
• communicate this information effectively to those who need to know
• consult and engage with workers about the risks and how they are being managed
The HSE published the L153 document referred to above to support CDM 2015 and explain it in more detail.
The Regulations require all projects to have:
• workers with the right skills, knowledge, training and experience
• contractors providing appropriate supervision,
instruction and information
• a written construction phase plan
In the case of a project where more than one contractor is involved (domestic or non-domestic) must have the above and in addition a principal designer and principal contractor must be appointed and a health and safety file must be developed and completed.
Also in relation to the project if work is scheduled to:
• last longer than 30 working days and
• have more than 20 workers working simultaneously at any
point in the project
• OR exceeds 500 person days
All of the requirements above must be in place and in addition the client must notify project to HSE.
To read more about CDM 2015 and other Risk Management topics click the image about or click here.
Post date: 23 Sep 2015
Back to listing page